The iconic model sailing boats produced by Star Yachts of Birkenhead have now become seriously collectable and are often used as decorative props around the home where, with their bright colours, they evoke fond childhood memories of those traditional English seaside holidays.
When the Star Yacht factory finally closed it’s doors in 1990 it’d been manufacturing these wonderful models for nearly 70 years, they were essentially toys – beautifully made and, as proudly boasted on the deck emblem, “Guaranteed to Sail”. Their main purpose was to sail across the uncharted waters of the local park pond, delighting children when they reached the other side and frustrating parents when they didn’t…
Display stands were of little importance – they were never, so far as I’m aware, supplied with the yachts but had to be purchased seperately so, consequently, demand was low and they were only ever made in very small numbers. Those that were produced were very crude, hand painted and not particularly well finished judging by the few examples I’ve been fortunate to find, ultimately – they’re very rare and finding one to display your treasured Star Yacht isn’t really an option nowadays.
With the above in mind I’ve produced a small batch of beautifully made reproduction stands in four different sizes, to suit the majority of models in the Star Yachts fleet, and three different authentic colour variations.
(Please note: All images on this blog can be viewed at a higher resolution simply by clicking on them).
These stands are machined from hardwood, hand finished, professionally primed and topcoated using automotive spray paints, an original Star Yacht deck transfer is then applied before, finally, being sprayed with clear lacquer to protect the decal. To give an idea of the quality of our work please see here.
The extra large stands, shown below, are suitable for the very largest of the Star Yachts fleet and are available in two options:
- With the text – “Star Yachts Birkenhead – England” which really does show these impressive models off to their best.
- With an original Star Yachts deck transfer as found occasionally on original, factory produced, stands.
Our small Star Yacht stand is suitable for the following models:
- SY/0 – SY/1 – SY/2 – SY/3 – SY/4
- MK/1 “Endeavour I” – MK/2 “Endeavour II” – MK/3 “Endeavour III”
Our medium Star Yacht stand is suitable for the following models:
- SY/4 – SY/5 “Northern Star” – SY/6 “Southern Star” – SY/7 “Ocean Star”
- MK/3 “Endeavour III” – MK/4 “Endeavour IV”
- The SY/4 and MK/3 yachts represent the crossover point in terms of model size and are equally suited to either the small or medium sized stands.
- The slot size on both our small and medium sized stands, into which the yacht keel fits, measures approximately 2.7mm and, given the variation in the thickness of steel used on the various models produced, as with the originals it may necessitate the simple packing with card or paper to ensure that the model is held securely within the stand. Full instructions are included.
Our large Star Yacht stand is suitable for the following models:
- BR/2 “Meteorite” – BR/3 “Planet” – SB/2 “Pacific Star” – SB/3 “Arctic Star”
Our extra large Star Yacht stand is suitable for the following models:
- BR/4 “Comet” – SB/4 “Baltic Star” – SB/5 “Western Star”
Please note that over the many years of production, the Star Yacht company produced numerous other variants that will almost certainly fit into this stand. The critical dimensions are that the slot into which the keel fits, is a fraction over 20mm wide and the keels sits to a depth of approx. 37mm. I have a very early “Polar Star” model and it fits beautifully.
I would welcome any information about Star Yachts from those who know more about the subject and if you’ve images, particularly of the rarer models, I’d love to see them…
Please note that we do ship these stands internationally – please use the “contact me” link below and I’ll get back to you with details for the various destinations.
There is a little more information about Star Yachts, including a few images, on another of our blog posts – Toy Sail Boats
If you require any further information regarding the above then please don’t hesitate to contact me and I’ll be happy to help.